Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Civil War Fabrics on the Cheap?

Some of you may have heard me mention that I found a fat quarter bundle of Civil War fabrics on ebay (from Frank's Bargain Center) for $1 each.  Shipping was $5 for 40 fat quarters.  Before purchasing, I read some reviews on a few quilting forums that mentioned Frank's Bargain Center that said the fabrics were of good quality.

When I got home from January's meeting, the bundle of fabric was waiting in my mailbox!  Here's what the bundle looks like (I ordered 40 fat quarters):

Not one of the selvages had any identifying information, although I was told that the manufacturers included Moda, RJR, Northcott, etc.  Also, more than half of the fat quarters had the selvage completely removed.  After reading Judy's Civil War handouts (the page about Chain Store fabrics vs Quilt Shop fabrics), I have come to the conclusion that these fat quarters are most likely from the beginning or end runs of a fabric print, where colors may be slightly off or the weave may be crooked.  Is this purchase a complete waste?  No.  I think I will still use these fabrics for either the Civil War quilt along, or even the Saltbox Sampler.

Here are 4 fat quarters out of the bunch that I wonder whether they are really Civil War reproduction fabrics:

Anyway, that's my review of the fabrics I received from Frank's Bargain Center.  CLICK HERE to see the fabrics Frank's Bargain Center has available.  Just remember that you'll probably be getting beginning or end runs of a fabric print.  I'll bring my fabric next month so you can feel it and see it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Harris Community Center Project April 2024