Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Sewing Room Interview... JULY

I am always so excited for these quilt room interviews! Everyone most have been so supportive in helping me out with these! I hope you are enjoying them!

This months interview is with the adorable Brigid York... let's get started!

1. What is your favorite thing in your sewing room?

My favorite thing in my sewing room is....everything. I love ALL the material, the storage, the sewing machine, cutting table, gadgets, etc. I love finding miscellaneous baskets and other goodies to store my stuff in at thrift stores or on sale.

One of my favorite quotes hangs on an old clipboard I got at DI. “The desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul.” 

2. What is the most annoying thing about your sewing room?

The fact that I have to “share” it with my husband. It used to be my daughter’s bedroom. When we added onto the house, she moved downstairs. My husband said he wanted her closet. I told him I wanted the rest of the room!

3. What thing in your sewing room could you not live without?

I guess my sewing machine. It wouldn’t be a sewing room without it. Haha.


4. What is your current project that you’re working on?

Summers are hard for me to get going on a project. Other than all the UFO’s I have undone, I have quite a few projects that I would like to start.

5. Are you a movie, music or silent sewer?

I am usually a silent sewer. When the kids were younger, I would sew downstairs while they were in school. I wouldn’t listen to anything so I could hear the doorbell or phone ring. When I sew upstairs, I like to listen to books on cd.

6. Where are you from and is quilting a part of your heritage?

I grew up in Michigan and Connecticut. I moved to Utah in 10th grade a year after joining the LDS church. Quilting is not a part of my heritage at all. My maternal grandmother was an excellent seamstress, but she didn’t quilt. My mother-in-law is a very crafty woman. She does it all. She hand quilts and ties pre-printed tops, but had never pieced a quilt until I showed her how. 

7. What started you in quilting?

I’ve always been a pretty crafty/creative person. When I graduated from BYU in 1991, my mother-in-law gave me my first sewing machine. In 1992 we were living in Fort Collins, Colorado where my husband was going to school. My friend and I decided to take a beginning quilting class at the local Hancock’s. We made a baby quilt and learned to hand quilt on it. We always joked that all we learned was that “you will poke yourself and you will bleed”. 

In 2001, Janine Manzione invited me to the Tooele County Quilters. I’ve been going ever since. I have learned so much from this group of ladies.

8. How long have you been quilting?

For the past 14 years I have been quilting pretty steady. It’s my favorite hobby.

9. What is your favorite sewing room snack? (recipe)

My favorite sewing room snack is probably nuts, just ask my friends. I usually always have a baggy of them in my purse.



Tell us one thing that might surprise us!


I have never seen Janine Manzione’s sewing room. True story.

Thanks Brigid!! I just love the way she has put her sewing room together! BEAUTIFUL!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Harris Community Center Project April 2024